WBCSD's Vision for the Future of WorkPeople work to thrive personally, professionally and as active members of society.
Our vision puts people at the heart of the future of work.
It inspires, informs and aligns business innovation for a sustainable future of work.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR A PERSON’S LIFE?
In order for people to thrive, work must provide…
Financially secure and free of anxiety for livelihoods.
Enjoy physical and mental well-being
Empowered to shape lifestyles and career paths.
Feel proud of personal accomplishments and contributions.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN PRACTICE?
To make this vision a reality we need to transform the system of work.
People have access to fair pay and financial security and are free of anxiety for their livelihoods. People are able to provide for their families, invest in their dreams, and contribute to their communities. Individuals are empowered to develop the skills needed for work, life and future employability. They can access the education and training needed to perform their work well and build opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Businesses are transparent, inclusive and connected. They provide meaningful work that contributes to society, and opportunities for people and economies to grow. Workplaces are safe spaces that protect and nurture people’s physical and mental well-being and encourage them to build meaningful connections.
The labor market is adaptive, inclusive and geared towards providing opportunities for all.
A strengthened social contract builds trust, alignment and cooperation between individuals, governments, business and society.
SO HOW DO WE GET AHEAD?
At WBCSD, we are calling on leading businesses to combine their insights, innovation and influence to be responsible, and be transformative. WBCSD members are already leading the way – our case study collection provides inspiration for action.
Build foundations for fair and meaningful work, implement new technology responsibly, and operate with high levels of transparency and trust.
- ABB: Adopting a human-centered approach to robot design [highlight] [case study]
- Microsoft: Principles for the development and use of AI [highlight]
- PwC: Developing a Responsible Technology Policy [highlight]
Equality and Inclusion
Create strategies and business models that enable an equitable, diverse, inclusive and empowering future of work – contributing to future-fit businesses, labor markets and social security mechanisms, with people at the center.
Transforming the Workforce
- Honda: Changing perceptions on robots [highlight]
- Hitachi: Accelerating the development of data scientists [highlight]
- The Navigator Company: Developing talent and inspiring behavior [highlight]
- Vale: Investing in human operators [highlight] [case study]
Transforming the Workplace
- Fujitsu: Human-centric workstyle transformation [highlight]
- Hitachi: Using AI to increase workers’ happiness [highlight] [case study]
Transforming the Labor Market
- Randstad: Measuring and optimizing employability through big data [highlight]
- Randstad: Digitalizing Human Resource services [highlight]
- Randstad: Perfecting the labor marketplace [case study]
- Unilever: Games and algorithms to hire talent [highlight]
Transforming Social Security Mechanisms
The business community cannot achieve this in isolation. We invite governments, educational institutions and civil society to work with us to create a future of work that enables people, business and society to thrive.
Policies & Incentives (financial & non-financial)
Education systems and institutions
Social security systems